Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Lighter Side Of Conference

Conference "Flair"
Originally uploaded by myself. Creative Commons: BY-NC.


Now that I've completed my formal report of conference for work... A slightly lighthearted look at my first ALA conference.

Plusses?
  • Sleeping in my own bed.
  • Bringing snacks from home.
  • Being the helpful "local".
  • Meeting fellow new members, library science students and recent graduates.
  • Meeting future UMD classmates, UMD Faculty and recent UMD alumni.
  • Various socials (with plenty of things to nosh on). Did I mention dancing librarians?
  • Meeting the minds and pens behind Unshelved .
  • Trying the Koelsch and Hefeweissen at Capitol City Brewing Company.
  • Learned a lot.

Minuses?

  • Overscheduling myself with programs. Would have liked to have more time to either decompress or hang out in the exhibit hall.
  • Missed Dame Julie Andrews. Missed Garrison Keillor because I had to be back @ work.
  • Many programs pertaining to my current interests (leadership/management and technology) conflicted with each other. Had to pick and choose.
  • Missing the Raspberry Wheat and Belgian Chocolate Ales at Cap. City

Coolest piece of swag I've seen/received? Pictured above.

Best program I attended? LAMA's "To Change Your Library, Change Your Mind". Lots of things I can use in both my personal and work lives. Also the only program I attended that wasn't straight panel speakers.

Worst one? None in particular. "Librarians of the 21st Century" started slow and ran well overtime. Two others were a little dry but I was ultimately able to take something home from each of them. The lone technology session I was able to make was filled to capacity -- standing/sitting room only. There should have been a larger room reserved....

No comments: