Maryland-Navy. A game that hasn't been played for 40 years. A rivalry rekindled.
I tend to be neither a sore loser nor an ungracious winner when it comes to the sports teams I cheer on. It does tick me off when others don't follow that line, but I realize a good many sports fans aren't as conciliatory as I tend to be.
Fortunately, no one at the Greene Turtle in Laurel, MD was ugly to me win-or-lose (and I hear It's sacrilege not to cheer on the Terps while there), even though I was the one wearing the Navy Sweatshirt in my party. Viridis Calculus and I *did* get comments like "I bet they'll be fighting at halftime..." ;)
One offhand comment by one of my friends *did* tick me off... Maybe it was tone that rubbed me the wrong way, but it sounded dismissive, especially after having just seen the game. Something along the lines of, “Oh, Navy’s not an ACC school…”
My response? : What does Navy being Non-ACC and a 1A Indy have to do with anything, given the both teams' performances last night and in the past year... seriously? Maryland, generally good to very good in the Friedgen era -- losing season last year, and rebuilding. Navy under Paul Johnson (Formerly of 1-AA Ga. Southern, and a pain in my Alma Mater's behind while he was there)? = Hugely turned around, but also rebuilding...
And to add more perspective? David does kill Golliath. During my time at Furman, I witnessed my school's Football squad (Southern Conference: I-AA), hand a similarly endowed 1999 UNC Team a smashing defeat... to the tune of 28-3.
I digress.
Yes. Maryland, you won. No. There is no reason I should feel ashamed of the loss, nor should Maryland fans lord it over as such. It wasn't an butt-kicking. It was an edging.
Much of the game, Navy was poised to upset, but both teams hung in there. Both of our teams made silly errors during the course of the Game. Harrington's two interceptions. Navy's multiple penalties.
Broad swaths of both of our teams are young -- with the need to adjust and grow. Both teams will. (BTW, Maryland definitely showed that capacity during parts of the 2nd half of the game. And yes, I'll give credit to the opposing team where it is due.)
It's as a rivalry game should be -- Both teams battling hard for the win. All in all: Well-fought on both sides and hella good football. No disappointment whatsoever -- even if, in the end, Navy lost by three points.
Much success to both schools as College Football season rolls on. For whatever it's worth, I'm cheering on the Terps, as well as the Mids, the rest of football season (I hope the Terps rip Clemson to shreds.) May the rivalry continue to flourish...
No comments:
Post a Comment