This will be a quick posting. More blogs to follow -- Two follow-ups and likely another one on the late, great Ibrahim Ferrer forthcoming. Been a really crazy whirlwind past two weeks. More on that on the personal blog in time...
--
Penguin in the City: Some gals squee about cutesey things. I'm squeeing b/c I got to see Steve Young and Dan Marino inducted into the Hall of Fame (on ESPN).
Atomic Punk, J.D. : You're Weird ;-)
Penguin in the City: Yep. We Know :-)
In all seriousness... I grew up watching Steve Young (and Joe Montana before him) and Dan Marino play. Both were quarterbacks, competitors and athletes par excellence. For all their talent and broken records (Especially for Mr. Marino), they epitomized what kind of a role model a professional athlete *could* be to others. Both giving back to their communities. Both driven, but unpretentious and humble (from what I could see growing up, at least) .
The opposite of how certain pro athletes today carry themselves...
Congratulations also to Fritz Pollard and Benny Friedman (I am not leaving them out b/c I grew up w/ Young and Marino). Congratulations, Class of 2005.
No comments:
Post a Comment